cup

cup

Friday, March 26, 2010

Fields of Grace

I have iTunes playing as I sit in the office crocheting or stitching. It got to "Fields of Grace" several minutes ago. I've heard the song multiple times before - we even sang it with the youth group at Harvest, and I always liked it. Now, however, it struck me in a different way.
I grew up in a pretty conservative Baptist church. The kind where the girls who wear pants to church are frowned upon, the married women are to wear head coverings, playing cards is a sin, and dancing is not allowed in any way, shape or form. This song could never be sung at that church, even without the drums. I suspect that if I wanted to sing it at the church my mom goes to now (which isn't overly conservative), people wouldn't get it. 
It's okay, in a way. I believe that there should be different kinds of churches for different kinds of people, since there is such a variety of personalities out there.
On the other hand, however, I am so glad that I can fathom dancing with and for my Father God; that the image brings not confusion, but tears to my eyes. I am not, by any means, a "swinging on a chandelier" kind of Christian, and I feel uncomfortable at highly emotional churches as much as I do at highly unemotional ones. It is such a relief, though, to realize, after years of being limited by man-made restrictions, that I can 'dance, like David danced.'

P.S. "And nothing, nothing, nothing can take this away from me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment